There’s nothing better than a good book. Regardless of the time of year, settling in for a long afternoon of reading is truly hard to beat.
Readers around the world spend billions of dollars each year on thousands of titles, including both fiction and nonfiction, as well as a wealth of different genres.
And yet, believe it or not, you actually don’t have to spend a dime for a great book. This article takes a look at how to get free books anytime you want. Keep…well…reading, to learn the inside scoop.
1. The Public Library
Believe it or not, public libraries remain a great source for books. Most libraries offer free membership for citizens who live within the city limits, and you can typically check out a stack of books each visit.
Most libraries carry current bestsellers, as well as a wide variety of titles featuring a multiple of subjects.
You can read free hardcover books, magazines, newspapers, listen to audiobooks, and even check out movies on both DVD, all at no cost.
2. Free ebooks
Devices such as the Amazon Kindle have made it possible to carry around an entire library of books in your purse or backpack. There are literally millions of books published in digital format online, including free Amazon books available for download from the Kindle store.
3. Publisher Review Copies
Before books are published, many publishers will send advanced copies to newspapers, magazines, and other media outlets hoping for reviews that will help generate reader interest in those forthcoming titles.
Many of those books end up being passed around from friend to friend, and often eventually be found in used book stores, flea markets, or available for free through various sources.
This provides eager readers the chance to read new books for free even before they’ve reached bookstore shelves.
4. Swap With Friends
Swapping with friends is another excellent way to get your hands on popular book titles without parting with cash. Friends who are readers often love to share books they’ve discovered, helping to spread the word about a hot new writer on the literary scene.
Sharing with friends gives you the chance to discuss books you love over coffee while reducing the ever-increasing cost of new titles from major authors.
Don’t forget about Craigslist. Believe it or not, many people use this online resource to unload book collections or to simply give away books they’ve read and no longer have a use for.
Scouring Craigslist is an ideal way to snag great books for little or nothing, and you can often trade an item of your own in exchange for a mountain of great reading.
Top Tips for How to Get Free Books
If you’re wondering how to get free books, the tips contained in this article can help. Take advantage of all the amazing stories that are waiting to be read and enjoyed.
If you found this article informative, please check out our website for more insight into your favorite books and authors.
More from The Quarterly Conversation:
- Top 7 Best Books About Technology You Should Read Now You probably see the New York Times Bestseller list all the time. And lists of the year’s best historical fictions or best celebrity autobiographies. But how often do you see a list of the best books about technology? If you love technology, gadgets, apps, machines, and business, then you need...
- Ways of Going Home by Alejandro Zambra In Chilean novelist Alejandro Zambra’s new novel, Ways of Going Home, there is a palpable sense of nostalgia for the 1980s, the years in which the double narrators (as well as the author) were children growing up in bland suburbs. I am just a few years younger than the author...
- So Many Ways to Begin by Jon McGregor Only fourteen words into Jon McGregor’s second novel, So Many Ways to Begin, we’re off to the races with an armload of questions in desperate need of answers: “Eleanor was in the kitchen when he got back from her mother’s funeral, baking.” He returned from her mother’s funeral? One might...
- The 8 Best Books About Divorce Although it is unfortunate, about 40 to 50 percent of marriages in the United States end in divorce. Going through a divorce is difficult for both spouses and the children involved. However, there are people willing to help during these difficult times. In this article, we will share some of...
- 5 Awesome Car Books for Automotive Enthusiasts Is there an automobile lover in your life? There are some people out there who are crazy about cars. They have a love for the style, mechanics, and history of four-wheeled vehicles. You can make the day of a car enthusiast with the right gift. We’re not talking getting them...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.